Silver Hills Carrot Dog Recipe
Whoever said there's nothing for non-meat eaters at a backyard barbecue definitely hasn't had this tried and true recipe developed by Silver Hills! This vegan hot dog alternative is healthy, flavourful, satisfying, and one of our warm-weather favourites. Just make sure to give yourself enough time to marinate the carrots for the best, most scrumptious results!
- 1 package Silver Hills Sprouted Hot Dog Buns
- 6 medium carrots
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- ⅓ cup apple cider vinegar
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp grainy mustard
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- salt and pepper to taste
- Peel carrots, and trim to fit length of Silver Hills sprouted hot dog buns.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil (make sure the water is deep enough for the carrots to cook fully submerged).
- Add carrots, cover, and simmer until tender when poked with a fork, about 10 minutes. (Do not boil until soft—you want them to be firm like a hot dog, but not crunchy).
- Skip some dishes and combine the broth and marinade ingredients in a shallow baking dish or container with a lid, mixing well.
- Add cooked carrots to the marinade. Cover and refrigerate overnight (minimum 8 hours). Flip the carrots after a couple hours (or jiggle the container if they’re floating) so they marinate evenly on all sides.
- Heat a nonstick pan (or grill) and lightly oil. Remove carrots from container and fry or grill for about 5 minutes or until carrots have sear marks on several sides.
- Serve on Silver Hills Bakery Hot Dog Buns and add your favourite toppings!
Recipe developed by Silver Hills Bakery.