WE ARE huge supporters of organic farming, AS WELL AS purveyorS of organic food. environmental stewardship MATTERS to us.
Environmental impact plays a factor in every decision we make, from choosing local farms and producers, to banning problematic ingredients from our store. Here are a few of our initiatives:
- To reduce food waste, Sistering, The Sharing Place, and Romero House pick up food donations most days every week;
- Produce scraps we generate are donated to a local farm to be used as organic animal feed;
- Any produce scraps that can’t be used as organic feed are fed to our ORCA unit, an earth-friendly waste disposal technology that’s helping to divert waste away from landfills and reduce the number of garbage trucks on the road;
- Animal by-products are recycled by Rothsay;
- All cardboard, paper, jars, and cans are reused or recycled;
- We choose our packaging carefully, seeking out recyclable materials whenever possible;
- In the case of black plastic which was recently banned by the City of Toronto recycling program, while we work through our inventory of black plastic packaging, we have also elected to pay to have our black plastic recycled by TerraCycle in Fergus, ON. We’ve opened up this program to the community, where folks can drop off their recyclable CLEAN food-safe black plastic (for instance produce containers, takeout containers, black plastic coffee lids) to our store for recycling. Keep your eyes posted for new sustainable packaging options!;
- We’re dedicated to staying on top of best practices to ensure we’re making the best choices. Click here for our post about Paper vs. Plastic bags for an analysis of the environmental impact of each;
- Our top-line refrigeration system is super energy efficient, recycling energy to heat water;
- offer a BYOB(ag) incentive program, where we donate 5¢ to the High Park Nature Centre for every bag a customer brings to the store. High Park Nature Centre provides year-round, hands-on environmental stewardship programs for folks in Toronto’s west-end.
- We support our customers’ waste reduction goals by taring their own containers for bulk purchases;
- We have an expanded range of waste reducing homeware items, including reusable produce bags, beeswax food wraps, silicone storage bags, reusable straws, accessories that transform the utility of regular mason jars, and sustainably-made personal care items;
- Staff do seasonal clothing swaps and Bunz-style trades;
- And we offer a bike-to-work incentive for all our staff!