We love, love, love this plant-based gravy over mashed potatoes.
For the Roux
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp all purpose flour (or all purpose gluten free flour)
For the Gravy
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- ½ cup shallots
- 1 cup fresh shiitake mushrooms (with the stems removed)
- 1½ cups vegetable stock
- 2 tsp mushroom soy sauce
- ¼ tsp white miso
- First, prepare the roux by heating the olive oil in a small pot over medium heat. Sprinkle the flour over the olive oil and, whisking constantly, cook for 4-5 minutes until the mixture is golden in color and smells a bit “nutty”. Remove the pot from the heat and set the roux aside until needed.
- Chop the shallots and mushrooms. Heat the olive oil in a pot over medium heat. Add the shallots and sauté for 2 minutes. Add the mushrooms and continue to sauté, stirring regularly, for an additional 3 minutes.
- Raise the heat to high and add the stock, mushroom soy sauce and white pepper. Bring the mixture to a boil and immediately turn the heat down to low. Add the roux that you prepared earlier and whisk it in completely. You don’t want any “roux lumps”.
- Simmer the gravy, whisking regularly, for approximately 7-10 minutes or until it has thickened slightly. Remove the pot from the heat and whisk in the miso until it has completely dissolved.
- Remove the pot from the heat and carefully puree the gravy in batches in your blender until it is smooth. Transfer the gravy to a clean pot and keep warm over very low heat until you’re ready to serve.