Butternut Squash Steak
If you follow a plant-based diet you’ve probably seen, but have never used, Montreal Steak Spice. Well that ends today!
- 2-3 butternut squash "necks"
- olive oil
- Montreal Steak Spice
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (177 °C).
- Preheat your grill pan or counter top griller.
- Cut the necks of the butternut squash from the bulbs and trim off the stem ends. Peel the butternut squash and, very carefully, with a very sharp knife, slice the necks into 1/2” (1.3 cm) thick planks. You want to count two steaks per person thus the number of squash you will need will depend on how many half inch steaks you can get from the squash. What I’m trying to say is…look for squash with big necks! Save the off cuts (and the bulbs) for soup or a Butternut Squash Hummus.
- When your grill pan is hot, brush both sides of the squash planks with the olive oil. Grill the squash steaks until they are nicely grill marked on both sides. Turn the steaks 45° to form an eye-catching diamond pattern with your grill marks. Place the grilled steaks on your cutting board. Brush them once again with the olive oil and generously coat both sides with the Montreal Steak Spice. Place them on a parchment lined baking sheet and bake for approximately 20 minutes or until they are easily pierced with a skewer.