Fluffiest Ever Mashed Potatoes
We're in love with these fluffy, creamy, melt-in-your-mouth mashed potatoes.
- 2 lbs potatoes (we prefer Yukons, but Russets or Reds also work fine)
- ½ cup butter (or more)
- ⅓ cup cream
- salt (to taste)
- chives (optional)
- pepper (optional)
- Peel the potatoes and cut them into ½” chunks. Place them in a large pot and add cold water to an inch above the potatoes. Cover and bring to a gentle boil. Test for doneness at 20 minutes. A fork should easily go through the potato.
- Drain and let sit for 3-5 mins until a bit of steam evaporates.
- THE SECRET STEP: Do not mash these mashed potatoes! Pass the potatoes through a wire mesh strainer, using a wooden spoon to push them through. The result will be fluffier by far than anything you have ever experienced. OK, not fluffier than kittens, but you get our drift.
- Heat the butter and cream over gentle heat and add, gently stirring with a wooden spoon or spatula to incorporate. Taste, then add salt and pepper (and if you like, a sprinkle of chives) to taste. DO NOT overmix or your silky potatoes will go starchy.
Try these perfect potatoes with our Shiitake Miso Gravy!