While spending the summer at a cottage up north would be ideal, not all of us have access to vacation properties or have the ability to take time off to leave the city in the summer. Luckily for us here in Toronto, there are plenty of ways to experience cottage life right here in city.
We here at The Sweet Potato love animals, so much so we thought we would write a blog post about it and highlight some of staff product picks while we’re at it!
Please note – in this post we are using, to the best of our ability, medical terminology to refer to the anatomy of folks assigned female at birth.
We think it’s a good thing to be informed about the products that we use on and in our bodies. In Canada, there are lots of government regulations and oversight of medical devices such as band-aids, powered toothbrushes, and the silicon medium used in plastic surgery. But do you know what isn’t subject to that regulation? Menstrual products! Vaginal tissue is endodermal (meaning, basically, it’s inside-the-body tissue), and functions properly in part by being a porous membrane – all of which means that it’s super sensitive both physically and chemically. So the substances that menstrual products are made from and with can really affect your body and well-being.
These sweet steaks’ll have you coming back for second cuts… and second helpings!
As you gear up for your BBQ season grill-stravaganza, we implore you not to overlook cuts like flank, skirt and flat iron steak. Striploin and ribeye are nice, but second cuts are where it’s at for deep, bold beefy flavours, heavy marbling and melt-in-your-mouth tenderness. As our Master Butcher and Red Seal Chef James Tober says: “Second cuts are the first cuts of flavour.” Continue reading “Make No Missed-Steak”
We were almost stood up by summer… but it seems like the best (and shortest) of the Canadian seasons has finally arrived. And with it: glorious sun! Here’s a rundown of the safest slathers for bare-skinned basking – aka, our mineral sunscreen FAQ.
Continue reading “All About Sunscreen”
On the eve of launching our grass-fed beef line at our butcher counter, we talked with our Master Butcher, Red Seal Chef James Tober, about grass fed beef: What’s special about it? Why should we care? And how should we cook it?
Well, it’s been seven months since we moved into our swanky new digs at Vine Ave, and while it’s quite obvious how much prettier than our old location our new Vine Ave. location is,what may be less obvious is all the ways we’ve tried to make our Vine Ave location better for the world as part of our commitment to environmental stewardship.
What’s the deal with mct’s???
There’s been a lot of talk lately about Medium-Chain Triglycerides (or MCT’s), and we’ve been getting a lot of questions about them. So let us try to answer some of the most common: Continue reading “What about MCT’s???”
We want you to breathe easy and be prepared for the upcoming allergy season, so we assembled this list of tips. Different things work for different bodies, and we’ve had successes with:
- Limiting foods that are mucus forming: dairy based products, refined flours, and processed foods
- Drinking nettle and/or feverfew tea to support your immune system and reduce headaches commonly associated with allergies
- Increasing your Vitamin C intake – foods like bell peppers, lemons, broccoli, and parsley are great additions to your diet
- Supplementing with Quercetin, a bioflavonoid antioxidant found in citrus fruits. Take 1000-3000 mg daily as a natural antihistamine.
- Getting and using a Neti Pot – it helps to clear nasal passageways for pressure relief and congestion
- Taking 1 tsp of black seed oil daily to reduce allergy-related symptoms. Black seed oil (or Black Cumin seed oil) is an antioxidant which has anti-bacterial and viral properties. Daily usage can help fight off infections of the respiratory tract. Its rich Omega 7 content hydrates the mucus membranes in your respiratory system and (bonus!) it doubles as a beauty product for hair and skin!
- Using natural herbal and homeopathic products at the beginning of allergy season to reduce symptoms such as Deep Immune by St. Francis, Allergy Relief by A.Vogel and Sabalia by Boiron!
- Adding Aromatherapy to your Allergy Arsenal! Steam inhalation reduces sinus congestion and pressure headaches. Add essential oils such as family friendly Ravinsara (safe for children 6 months+), Eucalyptus and Camphor to hot water. (Note: do not boil the water to reduce the risk of injury.) Be sure to drape a towel over your head, close your eyes, and breathe deeply through your nose.