Curry Buttercup Squash Soup
- 1 buttercup squash
- 1 large onion (chopped)
- 2 tbsp olive oil or butter
- 4 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 tbsp ginger (minced)
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 3 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 1/2 tbsp curry powder
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- freshly ground pepper
- Preheat oven to 300 F.
- Place squash on a parchment or foil-lined baking sheet. Bake for 2.5 to 3 hours. When done, the skin should be caramelized and fork tender. Let cool for at least 15 minutes.
- Cut in half lengthwise and scoop out and discard seeds. Spoon the flesh into a bowl.
- Season onions and garlic with pepper and 1 tsp salt and sautee over medium heat until fragrant and soft.
- Add the curry powder, paprika, cinnamon, and 1 tsp salt, stirring and letting the spices toast for 1 minute.
- Add the cream, stock, and ginger. Cover the pot and simmer on low for 20 minutes.
- Add the squash and and blend everything together with an immersion blender until smooth. Cover and simmer on low for another 10 minutes.
- Garnish with a splash of cream and toasted pumpkin seeds and serve.