Sausage-Stuffed Stripetti Squash
The stripetti resembles a rounder delicata squash and tastes like a creamier, sweeter version of a spaghetti squash, which makes it a great companion for hearty stuffings. Mixing your own spice blend for this dish allows you to use any meat (or plant-based alternative) you wish.
- 400 ground chicken (or substitute with plant-based grounds and 1 tbsp olive oil)
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp paprika (sweet or hot, depending on how hot you like it)
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/2 tsp salt
- splash white wine
- 2 ribs celery (fine chopped)
- 1 stalk leek (washed well and cut into 1 inch pieces)
- 1 large apple (skinned and diced)
- 4 cloves garlic (finely chopped)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 6 tbsp grated smoked gouda
- handful fresh parsley (chopped)
- freshly ground pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Cut squash in half lengthwise and scoop out seeds. Brush interior of squash with olive oil and sprinkle with pepper and sea salt. Place squash halves face down on parchment or foil-lined baking sheet. Bake for 40 - 60 minutes. When done, the flesh should be tender enough to pierce with a fork, yet slightly firm. Let cool, scoop out the flesh, and place in a bowl.
- Re-preheat the oven to 400 F.
- While the squash is cooling, prepare the stuffing. Combine ground chicken, herbs and spices, red pepper flakes, salt, and a splash of red wine. Set aside.
- While the squash is cooling, prepare the stuffing. Combine ground chicken, herbs and spices, red pepper flakes, salt, and a splash of red wine.
- Season leek and garlic with salt and pepper and sautee over medium heat for 5 minutes, constantly stirring and breaking the leek into smaller flakes.
- Add ground chicken and cook for 5 minutes, breaking the chicken into smaller pieces. Add apples and cook for 5 minutes until they are tender. Remove from heat and mix in the squash.
- Generously fill each squash boat with stuffing and return to the oven for 15-20 minutes.
- Sprinkle with smoked cheese before serving and bake for another 5 minutes or until cheese melts. Sprinkle with parsley and enjoy!