Grilled Chard Bundles
Chard is a wonderful veggie for grilling. It cooks fast and easily, and grilling brings out its rich flavour and texture. This kitchen-sink recipe works with whatever you have on hand! Get inventive & use up those leftovers!
- 1 bunch fresh organic chard (or more!)
- pesto (or fresh herbs)
- 1 block feta (or Daiya Blocks dairy free cheese)
- grilling veggies (mushrooms & onions, and/or peppers, zucchini, eggplant, or anything else)
- Toss all the veggies (except for the chard) in olive oil with a bit of salt & pepper, and then grill them until they’re tender-crisp.
- Cut out the centre stalk of the chard, to make for easy-folding chard-strips. Massage them with oil for a few minutes.
- When the veggies are nicely grilled, cut them into bite-sized pieces and toss in a big mixing bowl with a little bit of pesto (or, in lieu of pesto: olive oil, salt/pepper, and fresh herbs).
- It’s wrapping time! Lay a leaf-strip on a clean working surface, and put a small stack of the veggies in the middle. Top it with your favourite cheese – we recommend goat feta or Daiya – and then wrap the leaf tightly around the filling to make a little package.
- Let the wrapped bundles sit in the fridge for a bit to firm up – at least 30 mins. If you cover them, they will keep very happily for up to 24 hours – so you this is actually a great prep-ahead recipe.
- Re-heat the grill, oil it well, and grill your chard bundles for about 2-3 mins per side. You want enough heat that that the exposed edges will get crisp, but not to blacken the whole thing.