Sweet Dumpling Squash Risotto
Two comforting textures come together in this hearty one-pot meal that's fancy yet simple enough for weeknights.
- 4 cups Sweet Dumpling squash (diced into 1/2 inch cubes)
- 2 cups Arborio rice
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 4 shallots (finely chopped)
- 2 tbsp butter
- 3/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup white wine (dry)
- 6-8 sprigs fresh thyme (destemmed)
- freshly ground pepper
- Season squash with salt and pepper and sautee over medium heat for 3 minutes. Add a small splash of white wine and continue sauteeing for another 3 minutes. Place in a bowl and set aside.
- Sprinkle garlic and shallots with a pinch of salt and sautee in butter over medium-low heat until fragrant and soft.
- Add rice and fry for about 4 minutes. Add the remaining white wine and cook until evaporated, about 2 minutes.
- Slowly stir in 1 cup of broth and add the thyme. Stir constantly for 5 minutes (or until broth is absorbed).
- Add more broth 1/2 cup at a time, continuing to stir constantly, until all broth has been absorbed.
- Add the squash and stir for about 1 minute.
- Reduce the heat to low and gradually sprinkle the parmesan cheese while stirring.
- Serve with more parmesan and freshly ground pepper.