A delightful spread on toast and breakfast pastry, apple butter lasts about 3 weeks in the fridge and makes a lovely holiday and hostess gift.
- 2 lbs Organic Golden Delicious apples
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/8 tsp ground cloves
- Quarter and core organic apples
- Place apples and water in a pot, bring to boiling and then reduce heat and let simmer until apples have cooked down and have an applesauce consistency. Stir occassionally.
- Pass the cooked apples through a fine mesh strainer and return the strained apples to the pot.
- Mix in sugar and spices and continue to cook over low heat for about 1-2 hours. Stir and taste frequently to adjust sugar and spices.
- Apple butter is ready when it holds its dark brown and holds its shape. Take a spoonful and turn it upside down - it should stick to the spoon. Spreading it on a clean plate, no liquid should separate from the butter. Apple butter can be stored in a jar in the fridge for about 3 weeks.