What’s the deal with mct’s???
There’s been a lot of talk lately about Medium-Chain Triglycerides (or MCT’s), and we’ve been getting a lot of questions about them. So let us try to answer some of the most common:
- My doctor/trainer/cousin is telling me I need MCT’s…What are medium chain triglycerides and why do I need them?
MCT’S are beneficial fats that aren’t metabolized through digestion – unlike most other foods – but are instead processed in the liver and used as an energy source. Because of this atypical delivery system, MCT’s provide fast all day sustainable energy and are great for people who have impaired fat digestion!
MCT’s have as their base one or more of the Medium Chain Fatty Acids (MCFA’S):
- Caproic acid, also called hexaonic acid (C6-six carbons)
- Caprylic Acid, also called Octanoic acid (C8-8 carbons)
- Capric Acid, also called Dacanoic acid (C10-10 carbons)
- Lauric Acid, also called Dodecanoic acid (C12- 12 carbons)
MCT oil can be a mixture of one or more of these types of MCFAs and are extracted from either coconut or palm oil. Naturally occurring food sources of MCFA’s include human breast milk, goat milk, butter and dairy products.
2. What are your preferred brands of MCT’s?
The two MCT oils that we carry are called Brain Octane Oil and XCT Oil:
Brain Octane Oil
- It’s made from 100% Caprylic Acid (C8), which rapidly metabolizes into ketones. Also known as “ketone bodies,” ketones are byproducts of the body breaking down fat and using it for energy. This process (using fat instead of calories for energy) is a kind of emergency step that happens when a body’s carbohydrate intake is low – so Brain Octane Oil provides instant energy to the brain faster and better than other oils.
- It’s been shown to help with cognitive decline, including forms of Alzheimer’s and Dementia. Brain Octane Oil delivers much needed ketones to fuel a starved brain that can no longer efficiently metabolize glucose for energy.
- It’s 18X more concentrated than other oils!
- The potent antimicrobial and anti-fungal effects of Caprylic Acid help to support healthy digestion, yeast (candida) management and immune function!
- It’s completely tasteless and odorless – perfect for mixing with foods or beverages.
Ingredients:Caprylic Acid (C-8) Sourced from 100% Coconut
- XCT Oil is an 100% Capric (C-10) and Caprylic (C8) acid blend.
- It’s great for those who are new to the Ketogenic/Paleo diet, looking for an energy boost or to lose weight.
- It supports absorption of fat soluble nutrients such as A, D, E and K.
- It’s flavourless and odorless!
Ingredients: Caprylic Acid (C-8) and Capric Acid (C-10) Sourced from 100% Coconut
Right-click here and select “Save As” to download your own copy of this useful chart!