Sesame-Scallion Butternut Squash
The savouriness of scallions and sesame oil are a match made in heaven with the sweetness and aroma of butternut squash, and shows just how versatile this squash can be.
- 1 butternut squash (medium or large)
- 5 scallions (aka green onions) (chopped)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 2 tbsp sugar
- kosher salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 300º.
- When the oven is up to heat, put the squash on its side on a baking sheet lined with foil or parchment paper, and bake it for 3 hours. When it's done, the skin should be caramelized and easy to pierce with a fork.
- Let the squash cool for at least 15 minutes, then cut it in half lengthwise, scoop out and discard the seeds, and spoon out the flesh into a bowl.
- Sprinkle the scallions with salt and sautée them in olive oil over medium-low heat until they're fragrant (about 1 minute).
- Add the squash, sugar, and sesame oil, and mix well. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Enjoy as a side or a low-carb base.