Protein-packed and layered with flavours, this hearty soup with a gingery kick works well as a main or side during any season.
- 6 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 2 tbsp fresh ginger peeled and minced
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 medium sweet potato diced
- 1 bunch hearty greens of your choice (kale or collards work well) ribs removed and chopped into 1″ strips
- 3/4 cup natural peanut butter
- 1/2 cup tomato paste
- hot sauce of your choice
- 1/4 cup roughly chopped peanuts for garnish
- In a medium pot, bring the broth to a boil. Add the onion, ginger, garlic, sweet potato, and salt. Cook on medium for 20 minutes.
- In a medium sized, heat-resistant cooking bowl, combine the peanut butter and tomato paste. Transfer 1-2 cups of the broth to the bowl, and whisk the mixture together until it’s smooth. Pour the peanut mixture back into the pot and stir well.
- Stir in the greens, and season the soup to taste with hot sauce. Simmer for about 15 minutes on medium-low heat, stirring often.
- Serve over quinoa or a grain of your choice if desired, and top with a sprinkle of chopped peanuts.
Recipe adapted from Cookie and Kate.