Warm Kale & Beet Salad
Perfect for a cold day, this recipe calls for roasting the kale so it’s warm and wilted. If you prefer your greens cool and crunchy, just skip that step!
- 4-5 leaves kale
- 2 large beets
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 2 tsp fresh thyme
- freshly ground pepper
- balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 pkg chevre (at least)
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- While the oven is preheating, chop the kale into bite-sized pieces, and peel the beets and chop them into 1″ chunks.
- If you have any other veggies that roast well – parsnips, carrots, or cauliflower, feel free to chop them in with the beets (modifying the quantities so you have about 2 cups worth in total).
- Combine the beets (and the other veggies – but NOT the kale) with 1 tsp olive oil, fresh thyme, 1 tsp salt, and 2 tsp pepper in a mixing bowl. Toss the mixture until the veggies are well coated.
- Lay the coated veggies in a single layer on a lined, oiled baking sheet, and bake them for at least 35-45 mins.
- While the others are roasting, combine the kale and 1 tsp olive oil in the same mixing bowl as before. Massage the leaves for 2-3 minutes, making sure to coat the kale with the thyme &c that’s still in the bowl, and then let it sit for 30 minutes.
- When the roasting veggies are nearly done, spread the kale over top of the other veggies and put it back in the oven for another 2 minutes, until the leaves are warm and wilted.
- Remove all the veggies from the oven, and toss in a bowl with 3+ tbsp balsamic vinegar and the crumbled goat cheese.