Game Day Chili
We love this hearty chili recipe for Superbowl Sunday or as an easy weeknight meal.
- 1.4 kg lean ground beef
- 1 white onion (or yellow), chopped
- 1 carrot, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, pressed or grated
- 8-10 tbsp chili powder
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp cayenne powder
- 2 cans diced tomatoes
- 1 can black beans
- 1 can kidney beans
- 1 can pinto beans
- 1 banana pepper, chopped (can also add chopped scotch bonnet or jalapeno peppers for added heat)
- sea salt (season to taste)
- black pepper, freshly ground
- chopped cilantro
- red onion, finely chopped
- 3 tbsp tomato paste
- 3 tbsp sugar
- Cook ground beef first and drain the oil.
- Add all other ingredients and cook over low for 4-5 hours (the longer the better!).
- If it gets too thick, add water or beer to thin it out.
- When stirring, don’t forget to scrape down the sides of the pot! This will add sweetness to the chili and thicken it up.
- Serve with chopped cilantro and red onion. Enjoy!
Note: you can replace the cans of black beans, kidney beans, and pinto beans for 3 cans of bean medley.