How To Peel a Pomegranate
Seeding a pomegranate can be a messy affair if you don’t know how to do it right. Avoid the stains and mess by following these 5 simple steps.
- Slice around the outside of the fruit, midway between top and bottom, being careful not to cut deep enough to puncture any seeds.
- Pull the halves apart. Most people cut poms in half, which will cause many of the seeds to split and pour their juices everywhere. From here on out, each half must be treated separately.
- Notice how each half looks like a star on the inside? A red seed-star surrounded by white flesh? Make a little incision – about a half-inch down from the edge of the half – in the middle of each of the red section. Try hard not to puncture any seeds.
- Turn your pom half upside down and hold it lightly in one hand. Gently tap the back of the pom with a spoon until all of the seeds have fallen out.
- Remove any unwanted white skin, and enjoy!